To help you save for the retirement of your dreams, we offer the Tribune Publishing Savings Plan. The Tribune Publishing 401(k) Savings Plan helps you save for retirement on a tax-deferred basis. You choose how much to deposit each pay period and how your money is invested. Even better—your contributions are made via convenient, pre-tax payroll deductions, and your funds are tax-deferred until you withdraw them in retirement. You can also make Roth 401(k) contributions on an after-tax basis. Roth 401(k) contributions can be withdrawn tax free in retirement (provided you are 59 1/2 and made your first Roth contributions five years earlier).
- Matching contributions: For every $1 you contribute of the first two percent of your eligible pay, Tribune Publishing will contribute $1. For every $1 you contribute of the next four percent of your pay, Tribune Publishing will contribute $0.50. So, if you contribute six percent of your eligible pay, you will receive a four percent contribution. This matching contribution is made each pay period.
- True-up company match: In addition to the company match, Tribune Publishing will contribute the difference between the maximum you could have received as a company match (assuming you have not exceeded the maximum match available) and the actual match you received during the year. True-up contributions are made early in the new plan year for contributions made in the previous plan year.
- Deferred taxes: Traditional 401(k) contributions are made before you pay income taxes. Taxes are deferred on your savings and any earnings until you begin making withdrawals.
- Roth: Roth contributions are made on an after-tax basis. While payroll contributions are taxed at the time they go into the plan, you can make tax-free withdrawals of both your Roth contributions and any future corresponding earnings, provided that you are at least age 59½ and made your first Roth contribution at least five years earlier.
- Compounded growth potential: Earnings on your savings are automatically invested, where they will continue to grow.
- Investment choices: A variety of investment options are available, ranging from conservative to aggressive, so you can choose the investments that best match your goals and time frame.
- Financial Engines Personal Advisor: This service can help you better manage your 401(k) investments.
- Fraud Prevention: Access to Vanguard’s 24/7 fraud prevention team. More information can be found here.
Manage your contributions and investments, calculate how much you need to save for retirement and more by logging into the Vanguard website here.
To sign up, go to www.vanguard.com/register and follow the instructions. You’ll need your plan number:
Savings Plan Numbers
Union Employees (Tribune Publishing Defined Contribution Plan Highlights): 099090
To verify your identity, you will be asked to provide the following personal information: your full name, Social Security number, date of birth, and ZIP code. If you are not sure which plan you are currently contributing to, please call a Vanguard Participant Services associate at 800-523-1188.